There is a large quantity of learning materials on Stata available on the internet. Some of the best ones that we have found are listed below.
The best place to start if you have never used Stata or another statistical package before is probably the SALDRU Stata Web Course. This online tutorial forms the backbone of the yearly course presented by SALDRU in parnership with the University of Michigan and is aimed at beginners. It focuses mainly on the mechanics of survey data analysis using Stata, rather than the underlying statistical and econometric theory. It uses the National Income Dynamics Study (NiDS) dataset for its examples.
- The Analysis of South African Household Survey Data (Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town)
Other useful tutorials include:
- Online Stata Tutorial at DSS (Data & Statistical Services, Princeton University)
- Stata Tutorial (Germán Rodríguez, Princeton University)
- Stata Learning Modules (UCLA Academic Technology Services)
- Stata Tutorial [Videos] (LSE Methodology Institute)
- A Brief Introduction to Stata With 50+ Basic Commands [PDF document] (Tobias Pfaff, Institute for Economic Education, University of Münster)